Key Stage 4 curriculum
We believe in traditional values such as respect for all, perseverance, dedication, integrity, empathy and responsibility. We aim to ensure that all members of our community experience trusting and caring relationships with each other to achieve the best possible outcomes.
Our staff and students work together to aspire, achieve and enjoy the opportunities our school gives us and the strength of being part of a community.
Twickenham School believes by collaboration we can all become stronger. We are united in our aim to ensure that our students know they are safe, valued and supported whilst at the same time being challenged to achieve their best at all times.
Our students are supported and encouraged to grow in confidence and self-belief. If students are to become leaders of their own learning they must keep an open mind, enjoy hard work, and be curious about the world in which they live. Students will be stretched in their lessons to take risks, take on new learning challenges and develop creativity. They will achieve their aspirations through high standards of teaching, learning and leadership.
- Students to be confident, successful and lifelong learners
- Students to develop creativity, resourcefulness and resilience
- The school to be driven and united towards continuous self and school improvement
- The school to attract, nurture and retain high quality staff
- Students, staff and parents to be proud to contribute positively to the school and the wider community
The aim of the Twickenham School curriculum is to develop confident, successful students who have a love of learning that will continue throughout their lives. We have built a broad and balanced curriculum that provides the knowledge and understanding for our students to meet our high expectations. Through our curriculum we aim to generate a sense of wonder; encouraging our teachers to excite and innovate. We want students to be educated and empowered citizens prepared for the next stage of education or employment.
What we will do:
To develop ‘confident, successful and lifelong learners’ we will keep learning as the main focus in every aspect of our school life.
Lessons that excite and innovate
- A broad and balanced curriculum that allows students to explore as they grow
- Specialist teaching that focuses on understanding and memory
- A personalised curriculum that only narrows when students are ready to make important decisions
- A flexible approach when necessary catering for all abilities
Leadership at all levels
- Values driven leadership both inside and outside the classroom
- Students exposed to the ‘Leader in me’ programme
- Professional development of all staff is a priority
High expectations leading to Academic Success
- Challenging content and delivery encouraging students to ‘Think Hard’
- Rigorous assessment process that both supports and challenges students
- A curriculum designed to build on prior learning that develops excellence in the subject areas
- Advice and guidance at every step to support all students
- Reading, Literacy and Numeracy are prioritised from entry
- An extensive extra-curricular programme
- A variety of extra- curricular trips, concerts, performances, and sports that allow students to express themselves outside of the classroom
- Lessons that stimulate curiosity and generate interest
- All subjects have mapped the curriculum across the year to support students with the knowledge and skills appropriate at each stage
- Careers advice and guidance support students develop the link between learning and the future
- Students are encouraged to believe in their abilities and discover motivation based on future success
Key Stage 4
Our curriculum offers flexibility for students to begin to specialise in their fields of interest, giving them more time to deepen their understanding. We have designed our curriculum to ensure that all subjects are available to our students and that they have studied well to prepare them to begin the GCSE course. For a small number of students, we offer a tailored pathway which gives them more time, supporting them within their chosen subjects.
Our curriculum is designed to give all our students of all abilities and backgrounds the skills and the cultural capital to be able to apply their taught knowledge to be successful in the next stage of their learning or employment.